Picadillo: classic Cuban dish featured in Capture the Coast cookbook. Easy to throw together on a busy weeknight for the family with tons of flavor. Serve with a side of black beans and Cuban bread to complete the meal.
Ingredients and Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 Spanish green olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- Hot cooked white rice
Sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the ground beef. Cook until the ground beef is brown, stirring until crumbly. Drain the ground beef mixture and return to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Add the tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, olives and raisins and mix well. Stir in the vinegar. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Serve over hot white rice.