This sweet and salty snack is a great crowd-pleaser. As the school year draws to a close, it is the perfect little treat to give to teachers and administrators as a thank you for all of their hard work.
- 5 cups crispy corn and rice cereal, such as Chex
- 3 cups Cherrios
- 4 cups fish-shaped cheese crackers
- 2 cups fish-shaped pretzel nuggets
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 ½ cups pecan halves or pieces
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups “M & M’s” Chocolate Candies
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Combine the cereals, crackers, pretzel nuggets, peanuts and pecan halves in a large bowl and mix well. Bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Boil until frothy, stirring constantly. Pour over the cereal mixture and toss to coat. Spread evenly in a large roasting pan. Bake for 10 minutes and stir. Continue baking for 45 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Add the chocolate candies and toss well. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 36 servings